Friday, February 5, 2010

Social Networking

For me the true conflict between physical and digital networks lies in their ability to satisfy the human desire to socialize and create lasting relationships. As research for this post I spent some time on Facebook which of course led to about 3 different people I haven't spoken to in over 2 years to messaging me and about 3-5 hours of non-productivity. When I hang out with my friends in real life however I spend only a few hours with them and  my socializing needs feel met however on Facebook or just instant messaging I can talk to someone for hours and feel as though I haven't communicated anything at all.

When I first wrote about social networking in class I spoke mostly of the dual nature of digital networks and their ability to cause harm but also create hope. Remaining in contact with friends once you no longer can socialize physically is a choice many people are choosing to make now that its so easy but the collection of friends and acquaintances and the demands of remaining in contact with so many people can also overwhelm someone with a real social life. The compromise between maintaining a few close relationships over long distances and pursuing new ones in my current life is the direction I've chosen on Facebook even though I could use it as a networking tool or a way to inform people I know about my life, I'd rather tell them when I see them even if it takes a few years.

Until then, here's something that made me smile

No comments:

Post a Comment